Nieuwe makers, nieuwe ideeën, new adventures. Op basis van een open call worden ieder jaar enkele makers geselecteerd voor een residentie. Een maand lang wordt de ICK studio door deze makers ingezet als laboratorium voor de dans en steunt ICK hen met een productiebudget en artistieke, technische en productionele ondersteuning. Het resultaat wordt gedeeld met een publiek middels twee presentaties, gevolgd door een nagesprek.
Het New Adventures residentieprogramma van 2022 is gesloten voor verdere aanmeldingen. Binnenkort wordt de selectie bekend gemaakt.
NEW ADVENTURES ARTISTIC RESIDENCY PROGRAM 2022
During the residency program, ICK Artist Space is a laboratory for innovation in dance art. It creates the possibility to research a new and urgent idea or to take previous research to a next level. The period ends with two public work-in-progress presentations, in which the makers open up their process and share the outcome with the audience.
Out of the applications, four research projects by choreographers will be selected. They are invited for a compact four-week residency period. To encourage artistic exchange between artists during the residency, two residencies will run parallel to each other. Artists are encouraged to reflect on each other’s work, go into dialogue with each other, exchange ideas and experiences.
The resident will receive artistic advice and guidance as well as support in production, publicity and promotion?and technical facilities. We offer professional coaching and expertise in the development of the concept both before and during the process of working. We offer studio space and 2 public presentations at Theatre Studio De Vlugt as part of a Double Bill. With these performances we aim to facilitate encounters with other professionals, programmers and audiences and enable dialogue in an informal, open way. The resident will have the chance to build a portfolio of the work with professional photography and video-registration. The residency will be wrapped up with a reflective evaluation, both verbal and written.
The resident will receive a budget to cover basic out of pocket costs. Take into account that the budget is modest and needs to be shared when applying with more than one artist. We cannot cover (international) travel costs or housing/accommodation during the residency. Priority is given to Dutch based artists.
The first period will take place 9 may – 4 June 2022; the second period is scheduled for 26 September – 22 October 2022.
- Needs time, space and reflection to develop a new, urgent research idea
- Works physically and departs his/her research from the language of the body
- Has a curiosity for other practices and is eager to engage and exchange with the knowledge and expertise offered by ICK
- Is working as a professional artist (either post-graduate or self-taught)
- Is currently at the beginning of his/her/their professional career, and has produced some choreographic work
- Is linked to or based in Amsterdam
- Is willing to open up the work process?and present to audience and peers with a presentation of max. 30 minutes.
We are not looking for a specific dance-style – the final shape is open. We encourage artists with an interest in other cultures, genres, societal issues, urban matters and innovation (for example the use of new technologies but also new methodologies or other) to apply. The form can be very personal. The maker can work either purely in movement research, at the borders of the discipline or interdisciplinary, as long as the focus of the work departs from the language of the (moving) body.
Earlier selected artists where a.o. Lois Alexander, Courtney May Robertson, Sherise Strang & Julia Monschau, Elisa Zuppini, Charles Pas, Tamir Eting, Mami Kang, Fernanda Libman, Reza Mirabi & Marko Ivic.
Please complete the online form before December 1, 2021 containing
- Short CV, Biography & Portrait
- Working Title
- Motivation and urgency (Where does the plan come from, how does this fit into the context of your development and why is doing this important now. What do you want to achieve? Why a residency at ICK?)
- Two images of previous work or relevant imagery of the research project
- One relevant videolink of previous work (No WeTransfer)
- Website/URL’s where more information can be found.
Applicants will hear before January 11, 2022 whether they are invited to elaborate on their ideas during a conversation, which will take place on the 18th or 19th of January. After the talks a final selection will be made.
The selection will take place by a jury existing of members of the artistic team of ICK Dans Amsterdam, complemented by dance professionals and artists from the field.